CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, October 2, 2008

The Day 3: The Colors of Love

God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God. 2 Corinthians 5:21

Do you realize the significance of this?!!! These colors and the covenant! How awesome is our God! One thing I love most about studying Scripture is when truth is opened up--it truly blossoms like a beautiful flower in my heart! Studying the context of the when these things were written, knowing who the authors were writing to and what they would have understood as readers (or listeners) is key to understanding all that Scripture has for us. The principles are timeless, but the context is essential for understanding those principles.... All that to say, learning about David and Jonathan today was amazing! Their friendship alone is something to admire, and to know the significance of the covenant that Jonathan initiated literally brought me to tears this morning. Let's think about this for a minute.... By the world's standards, Jonathan was in line for the throne. What man would turn that down? It's very prevalent in our culture, this idea of "I deserve this," or "It's my right!" How many of us truly put others first or the Kingdom first, for that matter? We are bombarded with the notion that we have rights--a right to vote, a right to choose life, a right to stand up to those that hurt us, a right to good customer service, a right to have lots of choices, a right to blah, blah, blah... and so on and so forth!.... Now, not all of these are necessarily bad, and I am confident each of has a different opinion about these things! But I will say this, Christ has something different to say about us having rights! In surrender, you give up your rights!! But He also tells us that in doing so, we experience true freedom--freedom from sin, freedom from worry, freedom from our past, freedom from the world and it's standards!!! Doesn't that sound SO much better than having rights?!!!

Another point in today's study was about renewing our minds. I want to give a little testimony about this very thing.... This past week has been crazier than most for my family! I'm not sure if I was gearing up for my husband to be away for 10 days (he left just yesterday), and being busy is my way of "dealing." Or if it was just a busy week. But lastnight, as I was winding down, the kids asleep, I began thinking about today. I knew there were some things I wanted to get done around the house and there were things I would like to go out and do as well. But I felt so tired, and something inside of me was saying, "Just relax. Don't do too much!" I knew we needed a day at home, to just be together and enjoy each other! The past several days have had little routine, and we are all tired! Knowing that I was tired and that today could potentially be a blowing point if I wasn't careful, I decided that this morning we weren't going to do a thing! From the minute I woke up, I was going to be cheerful with my children, I wasn't going to say "no" unless it would hurt them or make a HUGE mess (in which case I would give them an alternative), and we weren't going ANYWHERE!!! I would get to my Bible study when the timing was right, and my kids were not going to feel neglected by me this morning. I believe this is part of renewing our minds! Now, I could be sulking today because I'm tired and my husband is gone (and it's just the beginning!) I could be whining that my house and my car need cleaned and I don't have the energy to do either one right now! But instead, I've chosen, key word I believe, to be a cheerful, loving mama this morning! And looky there, it's about 10 am, and I've already done my Bible study this morning!

Sometimes I think we forget we have a choice because we're too busy worrying about our rights! In our culture, I suppose we have the luxury (or should I say the misery) of doing that, I suppose. Does this resonate with anyone else? We are children of the Most High God, at all times. We have been covered by the blood of Jesus Christ, our Lord. He has taken our sinful clothing off--the red stuff--and has covered us with righteousness and fine linen! He is our covenant partner! He has done this not because of who we are or what we do, but out of the pure, great and mighty love He has for us!

What are specific ways in your own life that you love the Lord with all your heart, soul, mind (especially), and strength? How can you renew your mind for His glory today? What do you think about Jesus being our covenant partner?

4 comments:

Sarah said...

I was completely moved by David and Jonathon. What a selfless act on Jonathon's part! In today's society you wouldn't see such a commitment!
Sara, you made a great point that we do live in a world where we feel like everyone owes us something, and that we have a "right" to do anything and everything. Why do we live in a world like a bunch of two year olds: "That's Mine!" "I want that!" "Me!" I have been trying to tell my very own almost 3 year old that we share everything we have - everytime we have it. As adults, why do we feel like we have to have what another man possesses? Will we ever be satisfied? I know that our society doesn't help these issues, but as adults shouldn't we be able to know right from wrong? I know that I'm at fault for this, but I don't want to spend my whole life wanting bigger and better things - I want to be happy and satisfied. Satisfied in Jesus Christ!

In my life I feel completely blessed to have my wonderful children. Not a day goes by that I don't look at them and thank God for putting them into my life. Trust me, there are days where I get completely frustrated and overwhelmed, but I wouldn't trade it for the world. I have learned to love through God, my husband and my children - and to me there is nothing greater than that!

I was extremely convicted when I read, "Most of our wars are fought on the battlefield of the mind." This is SO me. I am a perpetual worrier. I worry about anything & everything to the point that it causes me unecessary anxiety. I hate it that my mind does this to me, but I am learning that prayer conquers this! As for renewing my mind - I LOVE worship! Sometimes I feel like so connected to God through singing, and I love that feeling! I also feel that this study is doing me wonders on renewing my mind and glory to God! It couldn't have come at a better time for me, and I'm grateful to be doing it with amazing women! Thank you all!

Meghan said...

"...when the truth is opened up, it truly blossoms like a beautiful flower in my heart..." I agree! And don't you get all goose-pimply too?? I LOVE it!

It is also so true that we belong to a culture that goes nuts over preserving rights, making sure everybody's rights are being given careful and due consideration, etc...countless books, magazine articles, TV shows bombard us with this idea that we have a right to...well everything! And God help the person or thing that stands in our way! But you know, I find it all a little tiresome and really stressful, actually, thinking this way all the time. Yikes! It sounds SO much better to just surrender to Jesus and be free! And for me, just to be free from worry and anxiety would be enough for me to say, "Yes, Lord! I'm surrendering!" The other stuff is just bonus!

I think renewing my mind is really hard. I loved your example, Sara, of choosing to let other unimportant stuff go so that you could really be present spending time with your kiddos. Because I'm a little OCD about cleaning and organization, I tend to put that stuff first a lot of the time. I see it as a "right" to have a sparkling clean house. And I don't think that's bad - except when I choose to let that take over. But I've discovered that things go so much better (better behaved kids, happier family etc...) when I get my priorities in line. Again, renewing my mind is hard. It involves conscious, painful effort on my part to let go of control, remember what's really important, and to Surrender!

I think the idea of Jesus being our covenant partner brings me to my knees! I struggle so much with insecurity about everything - and the idea of Jesus wanting to be MY covenant partner (me! insignificant me!) crushes me! It seems so impossible to believe, and yet it's SO true! It literally makes me want to weep with joy!

Meghan said...

Sarah- You have SUCH a beautiful voice, too! How much we who get to listen are blessed and renewed when you use it to worship!!:)

Kristin said...

I just read the post for the past 2 days & they are wonderful! I'm still a bit behind in the study, but I have done this study before (only the last 3/4 with a group). I did the beginning as catch up on my own, that's one of the reasons I wanted to join you guys in this study. It was so much to take in, I knew that I would get more from doing it again.

I'm a bit overwhelmed at the moment with a positive problem. We're leaving at 7:30am Sat morning for Orlando, FL. We are taking the boys to Disney for a family vacation. I have good intentions...I bought a travel sized bible today to bring along to continue my study. We will also have internet connection so I will do my best to check the blog while we're away.

I've started my last minute panic. We haven't packed 1 item yet for the trip, I still have about 5 loads of laundry to do, dishes, halloween costume's to pack, etc. I'm a huge procrastinator so I actually do better when my deadline is close at hand.

Someone on yesterday's comments talked about Randy's sermon last week...how we go through struggles so that we can relate to others going through the same things we've already experienced. That hit me so hard. We've had some very tough illnesses going on in my family over the past months. I actually went home & prayed that someone would be able to comfort my cousins who recently lost their son by someone who also lost a child similar in age to them. The comment from yesterday reminded me that I need to pray for that again. No one wants to go through these horrible times, but it helps to know that someone has gone through it & made it to the other side.

As for today's question...loving the Lord with heart, mind, soul & strength. I really feel that this bible study is helping. I'm also studying Isaiah on Fri mornings at church (which I've never studied before) & it is also wonderful for my mind. I love the history in the bible & knowing that God was the same back then as he is now & will be the same in the future.

My strength has been tested with my cousin's death & more recent another cousin had bacterial menangitis, but is now home doing great! I've never poured my heart out to God before asking to save a person's life. It was a 1st for me & I was devastated when I didn't get my way. Then when my little cousin was in the hospital, I felt the same way, but so far everything is turning out the way I prayed. We never know God's plan, but I've learned that I have to accept His decisions even if it against my wishes.