CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, October 10, 2008

Hearts Approaching the Altar (Day 4)

Day 4: Clean Hands and a Pure Heart

First of all I need to apologize for not posting yesterday. It was a very crazy day for me being that we were heading out of town. Our plane arrived in Dallas at 10:00 pm, so that is the reason I didn't post once I got here. My deepest apologies!

We bow our hearts. We bend our knees. O Spirit come make us humble. We turn our eyes, from evil things. O Lord we cast down our idols.

Give us clean hands. Give us pure hearts. Let us not lift our souls to another.
Give us clean hands. Give us pure hearts. Let us not lift our souls to another.

O God let us be a generation that seeks, seeks your face. O God of Jacob, O God of Jacob

This very song kept popping into my heard as I read today’s study. And this is one of my favorite songs! We learned about the importance of the bronze basin, but not just about it’s purpose, but also about its very strategic place between the altar and the tabernacle. The sacrifice had to be made first to forgive of the sins that were made, and then the water in the basin was used to cleanse them.

I did find it very interesting that the basin was made from mirrors and that upon cleansing the priests had to stand before it with their own reflection looking back at them. Beth statement is so very true. “The purpose is clear: before we can truly come before God for cleansing, we must examine ourselves to discover how we have erred” There are times that I’m so disappointed or frustrated with myself that I can’t even stand before a mirror myself – let alone think of standing before God.


“If we claim to be without sin we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word has no place in our lives.” 1 John 1: 8-10

“Asking God to forgive us for a sin we are not yet sorry we committed is a waste of time.” I feel that it’s always important to ask for forgiveness no matter what the sin. There are times where I have sinned and asked for forgiveness and told myself and God that I would never do it again, and then for some odd reason I did do it again – but not purposely. I feel that asking for forgiveness the first time is just as important as the second, and in some cases the third. In these times I did have remorse and felt guilty about doing them, and I did pray that God would give me the strength to defeat temptation the next time. I think in Beth’s statement she was referring to someone who shows no pity in repeating the same sin over and over again, and continues doing it knowing that God will forgive. When we come to Jesus Christ he forgives all the sins we have committed or will ever commit. How do you all feel about what Beth said?

How would you react to God getting on his knees to clean your feet? I think that I would have reacted as Peter did. It should be me washing his feet not the other way around. In John 13:14 Jesus’ commands us to go out and wash one another’s feet. In doing this we enable them to walk with him. Here are seven reasons why we have difficulty following Jesus’ command on this issue:

1. We lack the assurance of who we are.
2. We have a fear of leaving our comfort zones.
3. We are not willing to be vulnerable.
4. Our pitchers are empty, and we fail to be refilled.
5. We just don’t like feet.
6. We have to get on our knees.
7. We flat out refuse to allow God to wash our feet.

Recall a time when your “pitcher” was empty. How did you feel when others asked you for something during this period of time? How was your pitcher finally refilled?

9 comments:

Tammy said...

This Bible Study is a perfect example of my "pitcher being filled" again! This is just what I needed! I am encouraged by you ladies more and more all the time. God is really teaching me to NOT cling to things of earthly glory, despite Jesus' repeated explanations that His is not an earthly Kingdom.

These 7 reasons really hit me hard and I wrote them out on an index card and placed on a mirror....

I love where she said, "We fear leaving the comfort of the familiar, the norm of the masses....if we are never able to get outside that which is comfortable, we will often FORFEIT (yikes!) the very thing that is COMFORM-ABLE to Christ!"

Remember..Christ got up from the table to wash their feet! I know that I personally need to put aside my PRIDE and humble myself and 'get up from the table' more often than I do!

Through His actions, Jesus provides an emotionally charged illustration of genuine humility and love!

Sarah said...

Tammy - this study is doing the very same thing for me as well. It's truly been a blessing and I'm loving every minute of it.

When my pitcher is empty and I feel completely depleted and down and then someone asks me to do something for them. My first instinct is "sure", but in the process I always feel satan attacking me saying, "you don't have anymore left to give...aren't you tired!" It's through God that I have to ask for the energy and strength to push through and refill my pitcher.

Tammy said...

Satan is a nerd. I think my boys wore a T-shirt that once said that....

Kista said...

andyTammy--that Satan is a nerd thing is cracking me up! Your insight with your first comment, though, definitely rings true for me. I underlined a LOT in the list of the seven reasons we don't wash feet. I am almost ashamed by how much i need to be convicted by EVERY STINKING ONE OF THEM! Sometimes I get so complacent I don't even realize how little I am serving the Kingdom. This study is doing a great job of filling my pitcher, I just need to spend some time making sure I have enough fingers to plug up all the holes in it!

I know I'm doing a terrible job of actually posting, but I am gluttonously reading everythign you guys right! Thanks for helping fill me up, girls! You're great!

Meghan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Meghan said...

Tammy...I'm laughing SO hard! Satan IS a nerd! Unfortunately a very attractive and persuasive one at that. And I have a soft spot in my heart for nerds (Todd is an engineering nerd. It doesn't get much nerdier than that, right? I LOVE him!) so ignoring Satan is hard! OK...I just re-read that, and it sounds like I'm comparing my husband to Satan! I'M NOT...HE'S NOT!! Oh, my goodness!

Moving on...

The seven reasons really hit me hard as well. I could identify with each and every one of them.

So many, many things to ponder on. I feel like I'm actually starting to have some growth happen - not always the case when I do bible study (most likely because I wasn't ready or willing to receive the message, I'm sure) - so I'm really excited about that!

As for when my pitcher is empty - EVERYTHING...even the tiniest of things...seems overwhelming. I feel like I can't cope in any capacity. Before starting this study, I'd say my pitcher was bone dry. Now, it's slowly starting to fill back up again...

Sarah said...

Kista and Meghan,
This study is doing the very same for me. I first felt like I needed my pitcher refilled a while ago, and I knew I needed to do something about it. I wanted to do a Bible study, but my life was soo extremely crazy and carving out time to go do one just didn't seem to be an option. Not that fellowship isn't important - because it is, and I'm a people person. I also felt like I couldn't do a study on my own. So I came up with the blog idea and asked two of my closest friends to help me out with it. For me, it couldn't have turned out better. Meghan like you said, I feel the growth and the "warm & fuzzy" feeling that it brings. I LOVE feeling closer to God, and it's through this study that I am getting exactly that.
Thank you all for you comments!

Sara said...

WOW! what great insight this particular day had and also everyone's comments!! it's amazing how unwilling we are to allow Jesus to wash our feet... the thought that i had, which i think BM pointed out a little, was this: it's easy for us to want or think we should wash Jesus' feet--i mean, He's perfect after all. better than us, if you will. but His example in washing the disciples feet (and ours, in a sense) is that He humbled Himself, took upon the act of a lowly servant (literally, this was a job of a lowly servant), and washed the feet of those less than Himself. how willing are we to do this? i mean, if were able to wash Jesus' feet--who wouldn't jump at the chance??!!! but when we're called to wash the feet of those who are unlovely, who are "less than us," or how have seriously stinky feet (proverbially speaking)--how willing are we to do that??.... that's the question that keeps running through my mind! as passionate as i am about following Christ, i still tend to pick and choose just what i'll do for His glory!... it doesn't really work like that! in fact, most often, as Scripture reveals--His power is made perfect in our weakness... so, the next time i feel called to do something i'm NOT good at or that's out of my comfort zone--i will definitely be thinking of today's study!!! washing feet....

Kista said...

sara--
do you realize you called her BM?! :^)