CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, October 11, 2008

Hearts Approaching the Altar (Day 5)

Day 5: Contentment in the Calling

Look upon our shield, O God; Look with favor on your anointed one. Better is one day in your court than a thousand elsewhere; I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God then dwell in the tents of the wicked. Psalm 84: 9-10

I couldn't help but think of another worship song while reading this verse. But after reading today's study it has much more meaning to me now. For so many people the court was their Holy Place because they couldn't go beyond that point. It was only the priests that were allowed to enter the Holy Place, but they still had to enter through the court. If I could rewind time and place myself in the masses of people, I know that I would be singing the same thing. "Better is one day in your court that a thousand elsewhere!"

Don't we all long for something bigger and better in our lives? Maybe not at the moment, but I know there has to be a time when you have thought this. The Korahites were assigned a very important task of transporting the covered articles through the wilderness. But obviously Korah thought he deserved something bigger and better to do, and thought that Moses and Aaron were the ones trying to cease control over everyone. He turned so many against God and God's faithful servants. How did he think he was going to benefit from doing this? What it did do was cost him, among many others, their lives! God made it so that earth split and opened its mouth and swallowed them. What a scary sight, but it also allows us to see just how mighty God really is.

When we begin focusing on ourselves and the problems in our life, it takes our eyes off God. We the begin to lose our perspective on everything around us. I am one to make a Mountain out of a mole hill, and by doing this I hinder my relationship with God, because it begins to take over me. This is something that I work on everyday of my life. My husband always says, "Honey, don't sweat the small stuff. And you know what? It's all small stuff!" Don't allow the difficulties or temporary problems make you lose sight of God's direction for you life. God has created a path for each of us, but we are the ones that have to do the walking!

"If you struggle with your importance in God's kingdom, realize that one day at the task God has personally assigned for you is better than a thousand days at someone else's... Only God's chosen task for you will ultimately satisfy. Do not wait until it is too late to realize the privilege of serving Him in His chosen position for you." (Moore, 2007)

Do you know what position God has chosen for you? Are you listening to his calling? If so, do you feel you are using it to ultimately satisfy?

2 comments:

Sara said...

doesn't this all boil down to a trust issue?? we think we know ourselves so well; know what we need, what we're best at, etc., etc. i really struggle with this, i'll be honest. trusting God and His ways does not come easy for me--i don't have His eternal eyes, as we've talked about before, to see that this path is truly the best for me! God is NOT some dirty politician that says he has my best interest in mind but truly is just on a power trip. God is NOT some controlling father who just wants to bully us around for his own power trip either! God is also NOT a cosmic magician playing tricks and doing whatever he wants with a mighty magic wand! He is in control, but allows us free will because He longs for a true, love relationship with us--that has to be mutual, right?... He also knows us better than we know ourselves, so He guides us in the best way when we submit to Him--He sees eternally and knows what's best for us! it's hard for me to grasp this sometimes and trust what He's doing in my life and where He's taking me!...

i know i've spoken of this before, but it's becoming more and more a reality to me!... i'm really struggling with trusting Him right now with my family. knowing that He cares more about my family than i do, He knows us each one better than i do, and His plan will NOT involve sacrificing our family!! now, my idea of this may be different than His and is certainly different than other moms and other families out there! all of this makes it really hard to trust Him... it's kinda funny, my vision literally, is horrible! if i don't have glasses on or my contacts in my eyeballs, i literally cannot see to read a book that is more than an inch away from my face!!... i feel like when i look at my own life and don't choose to trust God, i'm seeing with my poor eyesight! i know God is challenging me right now to NOT use my own (terrible) eyes to see! and not even to use what i think has helped them--manmade glasses/contacts. but He is calling me to just plainly and simply trust Him... (sorry for the silly illustration! but i think it's just hitting me over and over and over....)

Sarah said...

Sara- your illustration was great & right on I might add! I have this very same struggle. I pray that I see what God's plan is for me and my family instead of pushing it aside trying to make it into what I want. What I want isn't always what he wants, and I have to realize and come to grips with that.
Being around family for the last month has spoiled my children - especially Noah. He thinks he gets to do what he wants to do when he wants to do it! I keep telling him that things aren't always going to go his way, and that we don't always get what we want. If I can tell this to my 3 year old, what can't I fully understand it myself!
God has created a path for each of us. Sure we're going to hit pot holes, and come across major stones. But we are the ones that have to keep going. He is the creator and we are the followers.