CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, October 20, 2008

Day 1: The Altar of Incense

Therefore he is able to save completely those who come to God through him, because he always lives to intercede for them. Hebrews 7:25

How much more meaning does this verse have now that we've been studying the Tabernacle? In the context of Hebrews chapter 7, the author is portraying Christ as our High Priest! We are in the midst of studying the importance and significance of the High Priest's job! And to think, that Christ now always intercedes for us! Not once a year, but always!

It might be hard for us to completely realize the awesomeness of Christ as our High Priest--He's always been that for us! We never lived in a time when we needed a human high priest. This study is helping to open my eyes as to the greatness of what this means! Where there used to be one position of high standing amongst God's people, coming from a particular tribe and doing very specific jobs to make atonement for God's people, there is now one High Priest who has completed the task of sacrificing and satisfying everything that our sin messes up who is Christ! Christ is The One High Priest who was able to completely satisfy everything for us! We no longer need a high priest to intercede. We no longer need a veil to separate us from God's dwelling place. He has made His home in our hearts. Christ has covered us with His righteousness and holiness and made us ready for His dwelling! What God commanded the Israelites to do in order to ready the Tabernacle for His presence, He now does in us for His presence to be in us. Isn't this AWESOME??!!!!

May my prayer be set before you like incense.... Psalm 141:2

Scripture speaks much about prayer. I love this idea of prayer being like incense to God--sweet smelling and soothing. Isn't it an awesome thought that when we pray perhaps God is soothed by the sweetness?.... Perhaps He is soothed because we are coming to Him. He never fails and He longs for a relationship with us! Relationships cannot thrive without communication! I believe that is why He tells us to pray!

And worship... WOW, what a loaded word, huh?.... We have certainly twisted this word, and quite frankly, we're not sure how to use it correctly, I'm afraid! True worship is a lifestyle. We worship with our lives (1 Chronicles 16:29; Psalm 95:6; Matthew 2:2; John 4:24; Romans 12:1). All these references tell us ways to worship. I think we can easily conclude that worship is giving the Lord what is due Him. We can do that with a song, kneeling or bowing in awe, bringing gifts, giving our very lives! ALL of these are worship. I'm glad we will go deeper with this in the days to come....

What do you think of Christ as our High Priest?... How is your prayer life?... What are ways that you give your life in worship to our Lord?

3 comments:

Meghan said...

Today was a little eye-opening in some respects. I've never really given much thought to the idea of prayerlessness being a sin. Nor have I really deeply considered that we should be worshiping God with our lives. I mean, I KNOW that I should be, I think, but somehow it gets pushed to the back of my mind in the daily chaos of living my life. It's so simple...I make it hard. I always think that it has to be more formal - you know, a specific daily prayer time for x amount of time, specific acts of worship, everything perfect and in it's place etc... but it really boils down to just making my LIFE a fragrant offering of worship to the Lord. What I say, what I do, how I go about my day, how I interact with others - ALL of it! And the great thing about prayer is that we can do it anytime anywhere - God just wants our prayers, He doesn't care when we do it.

Also, this spoke to me:

"...The tragedy is that the same persons who have the deepest capacity for worship are sometimes those who feel the least right to worship.."

I know I feel this way a lot! I really struggle with feelings of worthlessness for a gazillion different reasons. So, I think one of my prayer right now is just that I would be able to truly grasp that basic truth: He loves ME so much that He died for ME...He already HAS shown me in so many ways my worth to Him, and I'm forever humbled and grateful! But definitely a work in progress...

Sarah said...

I knew there are many different ways to worship, but when speaking of worship the first thing that comes to mind is singing & songs. Especially the song "Here I am to worship. Here I am to bow down. Here I am to say that your my God!"

I know realize that everyone has their own way to worship God - and he is please with whatever way you choose just as long as you worship him!!

Meghan, I too had never given much thought to the idea of prayerlessness being a sin. But boy did this ever hit home to me. I struggle with anxiety, and when I discuss my anxiousness with Kris he always replies with, "Did you pray about it?" Then I get angry and frustrated with myself for not praying about it. This past year I have really been trying to work on this, and I do feel that it has helped my anxiety. But again, there are times where I didn't pray to simply thank him for something that he has done my my life.

I am actually very ashamed by my lack of prayer. Especially when thinking about how he longs to communicate with us. Knowing that he's always there for us is so reassuring, so why do I abuse that gift all to often???

I'm hoping that in thinking that I am sinning for my prayerlessness, that I will begin to communicate with God more openly and freely. What child doesn't want to speak to their father? The very Father who gave his life for me!!!

Sara said...

to tell the truth, i have stated before that prayer IS my relationship with God... well, have i ever mentioned that i'm not a good communicator??... from my own experience, i can do ALL the Bible studies in the world and be involved in ALL kinds of ministry related things and even spout off Christian ideas, morals, thoughts on God, etc. but if i'm not praying... it's only words coming out of my mouth and actions that don't have much meaning behind them! prayer is so essential to my walk w/ the Lord... i notice a HUGE difference in my life when i'm not praying... i agree, God wants us to speak w/ Him, commune w/ Him--it doesn't matter when or where! however, at the same time, if we're not making a conscious effort to do so, and actually spending meaningful time doing so, then we're really missing out!!! it's like that empty nest thing you hear about--when a couple wakes up to an empty nest and they haven't continued dating each other up to that point--all of the sudden they look at each other like strangers and say, "who are you?..." i feel that way w/ God sometimes when i don't make prayer a priority! it's like i get a quiet moment to myself and i think, "i don't feel like i know you right now, God." and another thing, i believe prayer is so much about listening too! isn't that what relationships are about?? we HAVE to listen to each other!!!

and about worship... the Scriptures speak so often about a part of worship that is sacrificial.... i wonder how often our worship is sacrificial?? i'll share one story (not sure i have too many more than ONE, ashamedly!) one sunday morning a long time ago--i think i was pregnant w/ p--during the offering time we were challenged to give a gift worthy of a King. we had already "tithed" for the month, but i was overwhelmed.. literally, i took my check book and wrote a check for an amount that i knew was NOT in our bank account. i was in tears walking to the front to put it in the bucket!!.... it was the most amazing thing! to be challenged to give in such a way, and to see God's hand of provision in doing so.... but also to be SO overwhelmed w/ Him that i couldn't help but follow through! it was awesome!!!... now, i'm not saying go out there and give stuff that you don't even have.... but i do wonder how often we're challenged to do things "outside of our comfort zones" or that seem more than we can handle--where God not only wants it FROM us, but wants to reveal Himself TO US in it... He is a mighty, awesome God!!! worth every bit of sacrifice!!