CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, October 3, 2008

Day 4: A Worker Unashamed

How often have you found yourself saying, "Wow, if I had lived back in Old Testament times, there is NO way I would have struggled with my faith! I mean, a ball of fire leading you around the desert at night? And a cloud during the day! A burning bush?... What more do you need?!..." Well, the truth in today's study that was brought is something the Israelites would have longed for. And the "great cloud of witnesses" that looks down on us and encourages us, I'm sure has a few sarcastic voices saying, "Seriously, YOU have the Holy Spirit guiding you, how can you screw this one up?!!! What more do you need?!!!..."

It is something noteworthy for us to realize that God's Spirit--the Holy Spirit--was present in OT times, but not active in the same way He is today--in EVERY believer's life!!! He came upon people as was needed, but now WE have access to this Spirit at all times!!! Isn't that incredible?!!!... While the Israelites struggled with getting used to following a cloud or a pillar of fire around and seeing a consuming fire on top of a mountain (and evidently getting bored with it!), we have to get used to listening to the Holy Spirit--the part of God that lives within us! They built a tabernacle to have His dwelling among them, we ARE the tabernacle that He now dwells within..... Simply amazing.

Following this truth in today's study, we find that God enjoys picking insignificant people to play a huge roll in the outworking of His plan! Isn't that great news?? I mean, how many of us actually feel worthy of the calling God has given us? And truly, if you do, then beware! When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom (Proverbs 11:2). I only point this out to reinforce the fact that God knows us best, He knows we need Him! So, He will often call us to things we are incapable of doing to prove the point that He will provide, He will work in us and through us to accomplish His will! And what sweet freedom and joy come when we are used for His glory!

I love what Beth said, "Sincerity and sweat do not always suffice. God places us in positions beyond our capabilities so that we will be at His absolute mercy, realizing that only He can succeed." It's so true... We can try really hard (sweat) with really good motives (sincerity), but it just doesn't cut it! When we are truly and simply used by God, the outcome is all around amazing--and He is glorified!!!

I also liked the point about submitting to authority... Okay, I want a show of hands, who does this easily?.... I don't see any hands... Well, I suppose that's just because I can't see you, right?... Yeah right! Few people, or should I say practically no one, submits to authority easily or with little thought! However, Bezalel gives us a clear and wonderful example of submitting to the authority God put over Him and to putting his hand to the plow, so to speak, and doing his job well. I also loved the verses speaking about the Holy Spirit and spiritual gifts and how all these things are given to us for the common good. Did you catch that? For the common good. Not for ourselves!

And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever--the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him or knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you. I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you. John 14:16-18.

Think on these verses and all the truths in today's study. Is there anything that sticks out to you? Do you listen to the Spirit that is within you, that Christ has given you? When is a time that you know the Spirit was leading you to do something, and you obeyed or didn't obey?

4 comments:

Meghan said...

I find myself always being SO judgmental about the Israelites and how incapable they were of being obedient. I totally agree...I mean seriously, God was WITH them! His presence was visible AND He was doing all sorts of incredible, amazing things for them, not to mention rescuing them from the Egyptians who had been oppressing them for hundreds of years! It seems so crazy....until I look at my own life and have to laugh because I am no different! And you're right, Sara. WE have access to the Holy Spirit in a way they could only have dreamed about...they totally could be asking us the same question! AND we have to Bible to read with such great examples to give us clarity on right(and wrong) living. We should have no excuses!

There were so many truths in today's study. Something that stuck out to me was when BM said, "...When we step outside of God's will, we step outside the guarantee of His power." That's a place I don't want to be! This also moves me to pray for God to give me tasks that are beyond my capabilities so that He can fill me with His power! I've never really realized (or given much thought to) before that choosing to not listen when God asks me to do something denies the Holy Spirit the ability to work in my life ALONG with moving me far, far away from God. How many times do I forget that it's not by my strength that things happen or I'm blessed but through God's?

And finally, regarding submitting to authority - HARD! But I thought of something when I was doing today's lesson. We've been talking a lot about discipline in our house of late (probably because we have a three year old! hee, hee) and how to go about it in a way that changes her heart vs. just the behavior, but along with that, helping her understand about submitting to authority - God's authority over her, His authority over us as her parents, and how we are called by Him to have authority over her. Does that make sense? It seems clearer in my mind...sorry! So anyway, I was just thinking that it's kind of hard to help her understand about submitting to authority if she never sees US submitting to authority - whether that be the government's, each other's, or MOST importantly, God's. So convicting!

Have I mentioned how much I'm loving this study? Each day just gets better and better!

Sarah said...

Funny how you asked if I thought I would struggle with my faith living back in OT times, because I was thinking this very same thing. Not that they had it so "easy" or anything, or that sin wasn't around them each and every day, it's just that they didn't have the sin of the TV, radio, internet, etc.

But thinking about it now, don't we always take things for granted? Or better yet, we just HAVE to have something, so we go and get it and then we hardly or never even use it. This is how I feel about the Holy Spirit. It's an amazing gift from God that some people don't even realize they have, or take it for granted! I know I'm at fault for wanting it so badly and then ignoring it at times.

Being that I have two small children who drink a TON of milk, I tend to make trips to the store fairly often. I try to make one large one a week, and in doing this the cart is pretty full, so I sometimes store the milk on the bottom. There have been a few occassion where I have gotten to the car and started unloading the groceries and realized the clerk has forgotten to ring the milk up. Each of these times I felt like I had the devil on one shoulder and God on the other. How easy would it be for me to just hop in the car and drive off - and YAY I got free milk! But no, each time I have taken the milk back inside and told them that they didn't charge me for it. You wouldn't believe the comments that I get, "we don't see poeple do this very often." "Wow, what a good & honest person you are." This always make me feel great about doing the right thing and listening to the Holy Spirit who won against the evil one on my opposite shoulder!

Even though it was just a "milk" story - it's still a story where we have help guiding us to do the right things and make the right decisions. I feel that it would be a great challenge to live without the Holy Spirit - one I am not willing to take. So, instead of pushing the Holy Spirit away, I would much rather him dwell within me and listen contently. I know.... much easier said than done.

As for authority... I'm not one to fight authority unless they are arrogant and shoving something at me that I don't approve of. This is when I tend to rebel against it. I also have trouble with authority that trumps my authority. This is when I have to submit - sometimes it's hard to swallow, but I do it kicking and screaming! I'm one who likes given direction so that I can accomplish the goal given to me. When this is the case, authority and I can get along great! But as we know, that's not always the case!

Sara said...

meghan, i find myself being judgmental too (and not just w/ the israelites!) it's easy to be judgmental towards people when we think we have something down--it takes the focus off of our own shortcomings... but then i get hit smack in the face with a study like this that i'm really not all that different from them!!! it's nice to know that others struggle w/ this too...

and sarah, it's awesome that you submit to the Holy Spirit and continually trying to follow his leading! i agree, without the Holy Spirit is a place i do NOT want to be!!! and especially having two kids (and i know how trips to the store can be!) i think it's great that you go ALL the way back in to pay for your milk! i've done similar things, and you're right, it's crazy the responses you get! in fact, sometimes people even think you're pretty weird for doing it!...

Maeve said...

I've been reflecting on the lives of the Israelites as well. There were so many active examples of God's provision and guidance in their daily lives - but so many of them were unable to stay focused on Him. But you all make such a great point in discussing the ways that we are drawn away and distracted from what the Holy Spirit is asking us to do. Lately I have found myself asking if I have interacted with the Holy Spirit daily, weekly - and I wonder why it isn't more of a priority to me. Why can't I stay focused on what the Holy spirit is calling me to do in my job, at home, in my own heart. Thank you all for discussing your own comparisons to the Holy spirit in your life and the lives of the Israelites.