CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Week 7, Day 2: A Peculiar Priest

“Now there have been many of those priests, since death prevented them from continuing in office; but because Jesus lives forever, he has a permanent priesthood.” Hebrews 7: 23-24

In today’s study we were able to see the comparison of Melchizedek and Jesus. We found that Melchizedek was King of Salem, a priest – a priest of the Most High God to be exact. Later we discover that his name means “King of Righteousness” “Kind of Peace”.

Beth stated, “The range of Melchizedek’s priesthood did not encompass one nation alone, but through him all people could be blessed. The most fascinating royal priest was none other than a type, or picture, of Christ, foreshadowing the true King-Priest to come. Likewise, through Him all nations would be blessed.”

If perfection could have been attained through the Levitical priesthood (for on the basis of it the law was given to the people), why was there still need for another priest to come – one in order of Melchizedek, not in order of Aaron. Hebrews 7:11

So if the Jewish priests and their laws had been able to save people, then why would God need to send his son Jesus as priest? Well rewinding back to the offerings… we know that the animal sacrificing has to be repeated over and over again and yet it only allowed temporary forgiveness. But with Jesus, he made the one and only ultimate sacrifice that will never again be repeated and yet provided permanent forgiveness! When Jesus Christ became our High Priest, he canceled out all other priesthood. None other should take His place in our lives!

Have you recently questioned God’s plan for your life or His timing?

God will act when he is ready. I don’t know about you all, but I have two beautiful children who tend to get impatient, and have absolutely no concept of time what so ever! I find myself not telling my son, Noah, that we are leaving the house until about 15 minutes before we do so because I will constantly hear, “Mommy we go bye bye now?!?” “Time to go bye bye?” Over and Over! But as adults we are very similar in the nature. We don’t fully understand the concept of God’s timing. Just like our children, we want everything to happen now and “our” way, when deep down we need to be patient and know that God’s timing and way is much better. We he is ready he will do what HE needs to do, NOT what WE would like him to do. As hard as this may be sometimes, it is the right and only way! This is something that I struggle with every day of my life. I need to wait for God to reveal his plan in my life and not take matters into my own hands.

Has this study encouraged you to feel differently? If so, How?

6 comments:

Sara said...

i feel as though, especially in the last year, that i have been questioning God and His timing a LOT! i'm SO thankful for this study and how it's kept me in the Word and has reminded me over and over that God is in control! it has been AWESOME! i'm so thankful for all you ladies doing this alongside me as well!!!..

this is the second time i've done this particular study, and it is just as eye-opening and amazing as i remember the first time around! i'm still learning and growing! it makes me realize that the Word of God will be continually teaching us and challenging us--it will never grow dull. and though we will never fully understand it, the more we grow in it, the more we want and need it!!! our God is awesome!!

Tammy said...

Hi girls...you all are doing a terrific job enlightening us & bringing so much wisdom embraced in love from your humble hearts! I'm so proud of you! Even though I don't always comment, I'm still doing the study and I'm amazed too, at what God is revealing to me this time around!

TIMING...Boy, am I experiencing that one right now! Dave has been in KS. City since June 1st...and we are still trying to sell our home..(any buyers out there?!?) Its kind of funny I guess, but God is really teaching me some HUGE things in my life right now that I know I would not have learned had I already moved. This time has been 'set aside' for me to draw so much closer to Him. I have had 'extra' time to be around certain HAND PICKED friends to help reflect, learn & heal with! I've also realized that in the grand scheme of things...you know...THE BIG PICTURE...its not just about ME! God's timing includes many, many, other people involved. I know He has a buyer, and I know He is Big enough to work out all the details of our move and new ministry. He is working this part of it out with others that I don't even know!

Thanks again girls for your efforts, preparation and hard work...you are vessels for our God, and I'm delighted to call you my sisters in Christ!

Sarah said...

Tammy, I can only imagine what it must be like to be seperated from the one you go through this life with. You husband is one amazing man just as you are one amazing woman!

I have witnessed what God has done in your life - your fine boys are prime examples of that. And just as with any other stumbling block, he is working in your life right now. It's just a matter of time. TIMING is EVERYTHING!

Meghan said...

I've also been questioning God's plan and will for my life a lot lately - especially with some of the transitions and lifestyle changes that are looming in our future.

This study has been TIMELY for me in so many, many ways - it's been incredible really to see God's hand at work!

Sara said...

mom (tammy), the lessons you are learning are not only evident in what you've written about and shared, but it's evident in your demeanor and character as well! i have been amazed at the way you've handled all that has come your way over the past year or so! you have been a HUGE example to so many people! it would be "easy" to get mad or frustrated and to take it out on others. however, you and i both know what bitterness does to our inner being--it crushes it and weighs it down until it's almost nothing! i know you've willingly (even though i can't imagine how hard it was) given your heart to God, and i have witnessed Him truly bring healing and joy in the midst of hurt and pain! it has been awesome! i'm thankful to be a part of it and to watch you grow through this! thanks for being an example to all of us, mom! you're amazing!

meghan, i'm sure this time in your life is full of questions, fear, doubt and more questions.... i also am confident that God is preparing you guys for an amazing journey as you venture into ministry! if i can say anything, it's usually a bit crazy and unpredictable! but ask almost anyone who's been there, and i think their answer would be the same as mine--i really can't imagine doing ANYTHING else! when God lays this heavy burden and call on your heart, unless you continually deny it (and eventually, i suppose, have to turn your back on it), it will NEVER go away!!! it is a high call, an awesome call, and one that we're all incapable of doing on our own! the Lord will not lead you somewhere that He is not already there, taking care of everything for you. trusting Him is key! i'm SO excited for you guys!

Meghan said...

Thanks, Sara for your support and encouragement! Because you've been (and still are) there, it means all the more! I think I alternate between extreme terror and crazy excitement! THANK GOODNESS we don't have to go it alone!

I think this next year will be a year of major growth for both of us as we prepare to do this church planting thing. This study has been a good start for me. It's helped illuminate many areas of my life that need some major pruning. I need that and am thankful for that.

Tammy - I love your perspective - It IS all about God's timing, not ours, isn't it? I am ALWAYS, it seems, too inward focused, and I forget about the Bigger Picture. Thank you for pointing that out because you are so, so right! I need to remember this in the days ahead. Isn't it so reassuring to think about that in the midst of our worry and stress? God hasn't forgotten about us - He's just working out His plan! I love that you are not letting bitterness take root - it's extremely encouraging to me considering that we may well be in a similar situation at some point!