CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, October 30, 2008

Week 7, Day 4: The Right Hand of God

“My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, no one can snatch them out of my Father’s hand. I and the Father are one.” John 10: 29-30

Sure there are things here on earth that can harm us and lead us astray, but if we choose to follow Jesus he will provide us with an everlasting safety. Jesus Christ is the right hand of God, he is the SAVING hand of God! How awesome is that!

Today we were able to come to the realization of why the new covenant was established. It’s purpose was based on more profitable and valuable promises – Promises of God that find their “Yes” in Jesus Christ! I love how Beth said, “The old covenant was based on a shadow. The new covenant was based on a Savior.”

Will he heal you from the ravages of sin? Read Isaiah 53:5
- By his wounds we are healed.
I couldn’t help but think of a song we sing:

He was pierced for our transgressions
He was crushed for our sins
Punishment that brought us peace was upon him
And by his wounds, by his wounds we are healed.

We are healed by Your sacrifice
And the life that You gave
We are healed for You paid the price
By Your grace we are saved
We are saved, WE ARE SAVED!

We know that sometimes God tells us know, but today I learned that “God’s no is a street sign to direct you to oncoming yes!”

We live in a world where people think that believing in God and following God restricts so many things because God says “No”. This is why it is so important for us to retrain the way they think and let them know about all the things that he says “yes” to. Yes to salvation, yes to forgiveness, yes to abundant life, and yet to a mansion of glory!

Can you think of a past personal need that God undoubtedly met in Christ? If so, how?
Or do you feel that there is an area in your life where God said “No” and is directing you to an oncoming “Yes”?

2 comments:

Meghan said...

What comes to mind for me concerning a time when God said "no" but was leading towards a "yes" is when we had our miscarriage in 2006. We had a hard time conceiving again after it which was devastating and extremely hard to understand as we didn't have issues getting pregnant the first two times. I wanted to be pregnant so badly and really struggled with bitterness and being angry at God during this time. Looking back now, however, I can see that He was telling us, "No. Right now is not the time. Be patient...lean on Me." I can see how He was trying to grow us in so many ways through our ordeal - and He did! And when we finally got pregnant (our yes!) again several months later it was incredible to realize how perfect the timing was for us to have a baby at THAT MOMENT. We couldn't have asked for better timing! God's timing is always perfect! At the time of our miscarriage, although we obviously couldn't see it then, would not have been a good time for a baby - we wouldn't have been ready - emotionally or mentally or physically (me). It's amazing, actually, when I think about how God's blessing poured out the minute I chose to surrender it all to Him and trust in His will for my life - to let it all go, so to speak - even if that meant I might not get pregnant again. (And believe me, if you only knew how much I tortured myself over this!) Again, there were many things I needed to learn through this experience that I probably wouldn't have learned if we had not had a miscarriage. I can truly say, now, that I'm thankful for the experience - something I thought I'd never be able to say!

Sarah said...

Meghan - He works in so many mysterious ways, doesn't he. I can't speak for her, but I'm sure Sara can relate to you more on this issue. But just think, you wouldn't have your beautiful Lydia if that pregnancy would have been healthy. He knew what he was doing, and I know that it must have been so difficult for you, but it was God's "No" diverting you to an oncoming "Yes" and what a beautiful and sweet "Yes" she is!

As for my "No" - Kris and I were wanting to move a little over a year ago. I more so than him. Things were going great at our jobs and I was able to work from home and be with Noah. It was soon after the discussing moving that I got pregnant with Avery. We still continued to look for houses, but I started wondering if it was the right decision. We had already made the mistake when I was pregnant with Noah of buying 2 new cars, which are two reasons why I still have to work. Kris and I finally decided that it wasn't the time to move and deep down I was so disappointed. We felt God wanted us to stay put, and he was right. Three months after I had Avery (just before Christmas), but bosses told me that they were only going to have projects for me every once in a while (meaning a project every 3 months). I was completely and utterly heart broken and feared that I would have to leave my children again (which I have serious issue with). In January I started a very similar job with another business broker who is very understanding that I have two small children.
God was telling me "No" for a reason that I didn't understand. I know now that we couldn't afford a newer and bigger house right now and that was God's way of protecting me and my family. His "yes" was providing me comfort and peace with our financial situation (because I tend to really stress about money) and we have been able to provide fun things for our children. Like there new playset in the backyard!
I know that I need to allow God to take control over my life, and sometimes I really struggle with this, but he does know what's best for us, and I'm so glad that we listened to him in this situation!