CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, October 27, 2008

Week 7, Day 1: The Holy Calling of the Priesthood

Today was a long one, but a good one! I have enjoyed researching God’s reasoning for the work that he has done. It’s truly unveiling my eyes. I’m apologizing ahead of time for the lengthy post! It just shows how much I enjoyed today’s study!!

We have recently learned about the importance of sacrifices and God’s attitude towards them. In this we also learned that Jesus, the unblemished lamb, was the ultimate sacrifice that was made for each and every one of us, ceasing the many animal sacrifices. But there are more to sacrificing than just the animal sacrifice. What about the ones we covered today? The mental and physical ones: Praise, Your Temple, and Faith.

When asked “What can you do to offer sacrifices to God in these areas?” Here were my answers, and feel free to share yours.

Praise:
I need to praise Him more often to others who may not know him without feeling “silly” about it, or too over the top.

Hebrew 13:15-16. Through Jesus, therefore, let us continually offer to God a sacrifice of praise – the fruit of our lips that confess his name. And do not forget to do good and to share with others, for which such sacrifices God is pleased.

Your Temple:
I want to not worry so much about my appearance and just enjoy me the way I am. God wants us to offer ourselves as living sacrifices by laying down our own desires and following him, but this isn’t always the easiest of things to do.

Romans 12:1 Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God – this is your spiritual act of worship.

Faith:
I want to realize that God has a plan for me and my family, and in the process understand that what I want isn’t necessarily what he wants for me!

Philippians 2:17 But even if I am being poured out like a drink offering on the sacrifice and service coming from you faith, I am glad and rejoice with all of you.

“Sanctification is not about long hair and abstinence. It is about purity… For those really fulfilling their calling of evangelism and ministry, purity is neither easy nor accidental. We must guard our minds and put on our armor. A war rages our there, and we are Satan’s favorite prisoners.” (Moore, 2007)

I don’t usually ask the discussion questions and then answer them, but that’s exactly what I’m going to do today. In this process I’m asking you to share your answers with all of us.

What do you deliberately avoid for the sake of purity?

I do not curse or use foul language. I’m not saying that I’ve never said a bad word before. I’m just saying that I never made it a habit like some people do. I don’t like hearing those words used – it actually makes me feel pretty uncomfortable.

How do others know you are set apart to God?

I’m going to use the example of foul language above. When I was in High School I was always playing sports. Softball and Basketball were my main sports. I was captain in both of these sports, which means that a lot of people look up to you in a way. They would pick on me for using words like “Dork” “Nerd” “Butt” instead of using more vulgar terms for these things. On one of our road games, one of the girls just came out and asked me why I didn’t curse. *Here was possibly my one and only time to witness to these girls!* The ones who were really close to me already knew why, but this was a girl that obviously didn’t. I began explaining to her that I’ve grown up in the church and that I accepted Jesus Christ when I was in the 6th grade. I went into details about certain things that I believe in and feel very strongly about – even though the whole time I feared she was tuning me out. In the end she looked me in the face and said, “ That’s really cool.” After that every time she would use a foul word herself, she would look at me and apologize.
These girls knew what I believed in, and I just wish I could have made a bigger impact on them.

If you have children, what habits towards purity are you helping instill in them?

On this question I am using my husband, Kris, as the example. I have known my husband – the love of my life – since I was 9 years old. He hasn’t changed one bit since the day I met him (which I remember very vividly). I am the luckiest woman to have such a man in my life.

You’re probably wondering why I’m using him and not myself. Here is why… I struggle with many things in my life. Not off the chart struggles, but everyday struggles like stress, anxiety, anger, frustration, jealousy, etc. These are bad habits that make me feel so “impure”, and they’re habits that I don’t want my children to pick up on. As for my husband, he is the complete opposite. He doesn’t stress, he’s never anxious or jealous, and in all the years that I’ve known him I have never once heard him yell. He does not curse, he doesn’t drink alcohol (he hasn’t even had soda in 13 years), but he DOES love the Lord with all of his heart – he is literally the most amazing man that I have ever met. But it’s not just me who is lucky in this, it’s my children who I pray will reap the benefits of having such a Father. He is the perfect example of “purity” for me and my children in more ways than I can possibly explain.

So now I ask you:
What do you deliberately avoid for the sake of purity?
How do others know you are set apart to God?
If you have children, what habits toward purity are you helping instill in them?

3 comments:

Meghan said...

Once again (surprise, surprise!) today's study dealt with issues I have been wrestling with for some time. Namely, how do we live IN the world but not OF the world. I've been thinking about this a lot in the last few months as I wrestle with the idea of being more missional as I live out my faith. That entails walking IN the world amongst non-christians - how do I do that and not succumb to the culture in which we live?

I loved what Beth Moore said, "God never called us to naivete. He called us to integrity. There is a very big difference between the two. The biblical concept of integrity emphasizes mature innocence, not childlike ignorance. Like Paul, we must be aware of what is out there before we walk into the middle of it. Like Paul, we must recognize situations that demand an extra degree of consecration, preparation, and protection."

What do you deliberately avoid for the sake of purity?

swearing (I am not perfect at this by any means especially if exceptionally angry!), drunkenness (I really have to guard myself in regards to drinking - the temptation to flashback to my former party girl ways can be very strong), and any situations that may foster sexual sin (very tricky considering the culture we live in!)

How do others know you are set apart to God?

I hope by my actions and the way I'm living out my life! (Thank goodness for God's grace! Definitely a work in progress...)

If you have children, what habits toward purity are you helping instill in them?

Todd and I talk about this all the time as we journey together on the (long) path of raising children! Here's a short list of habits we are working towards instilling in our girls with God's help:
a strong knowledge of God's Word
an abiding love for Jesus
obedience to us and God
discernment
self-control
kindness and respect for others
possessing a true servant's heart

Sara said...

wow, i'm overwhelmed by BOTH of you and your honest answers. thank you for sharing! sarah, what a wonderfully encouraging post you made--thank you! thank you for being so open and honest with all of us! meghan, thank you for sharing your answers as well!!!...

the idea of being IN the world and OF it is SO hard!!.... especially in our culture where there are so many "gray" areas. i mean, we all have freedom in Christ, but when we're focused on the "freedom" to drink, spend money, cuss, watch whatever want.... what are these things doing to our inner selves? our hearts??... the gnostics invaded the cultures that paul was writing against! they believed that the actions of the body did not affect the soul!... how often do we take our "freedom" in Christ too far and believe it's not affecting our soul. and then there is always that gray line of when things actually become a sin.... and everyone, of course, has a different perspective on this!...

so, what do i deliberately avoid for the sake of purity?...

i have cut out a few shows i used to enjoy watching. in fact, recently i was tempted to watch one again, in particular. but honestly, today's lesson and other things have encouraged me to stay away from them! also, being alone with other men. that's a rule both shane and i have--never being alone with the opposite sex! it just helps keep integrity at the forefront, we believe!

how do others know you're set apart to God?

i suppose when i deny either of the above said things... and when i deny other things or mention specifically my reasoning for doing something.

if you have children, what habits toward purity are you helping instill in them?

what we watch.
what we wear.
talking openly about right & wrong.
how to treat each other and others.
what God says and thinks about things.
knowing God's Word.

i try to find ways, even with my kids, to help them live IN the world and not be OF it!.. i understand there is an aspect of slow revelation--they don't need to be exposed to everything all at once!!! and some things, not for a LONG time! however, i do try and take opportunities to help them see why something is wrong--instead of just sheltering them from it. (does that make sense??) communication is such a KEY in all of this too!!! communicating to each other, communicating with God and communicating what God says to us in His Word!

Sarah said...

Meghan and Sara - Your answers were awesome and I thank you for sharing them.

This world can be extremely harsh. And I do hope that my children won't see or have to deal with certain things for a very LONG time. But I'm right there with you Sara on taking the chance to explain things when they do see something they shouldn't. I do think that Noah is still young to fully grasp the answers that I'm giving him, but I do know that some of it sinks in.

We think that the world is bad now, I can only imagine how much worse it's going to be for our children when their raising our grandchildren. This is why it is so vitally important to help them know God and what he has done for us.