CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, November 13, 2008

Day 4: Finished Work

What a great feeling when you have finished something, huh?! I was trying to imagine the atmosphere at this time in Israel's community. It must have been buzzing with excitement! Think of all they had been through for so long in Egypt. They had had one year of exodus, when at times they wished to be back in Egypt! They were seeing God in a way they had never before witnessed! They were trusting someone--Moses--that they weren't too sure about. They were reverting back to old ways--worshiping idols, being slaves (to sin this time). What a whirlwind!!! But all of these things surely added to the greatness and wonder of this moment. The Tabernacle was completed. While they were disobedient and stiff-necked, concerning this-- the Tabernacle--they were obedient, passionate, and they passed inspection! Amazing, really. I mean, if Moses was a surprise as a leader, the Israelites were certainly a surprise in the way they came together and prepared the Tabernacle exactly the way God commanded and desired!

"It had been the worst year of his life and the best year of his life. Funny how often that happens when the Lord is your God." This statement that Beth Moore made in today's study really hit me! It is so true! When we choose to follow Jesus Christ, He does what we so desperately need Him to do--strip us of our sin and shortcomings, point out our weaknesses and do a new work in us, and make us a new creation all together! This is the most amazing thing to look back on, however, the process can be grueling at times.

A particular time in my life, several years ago, is a testimony to Christ's work! For years, when I was younger, I dealt with things so inappropriately. I had a few traumatic things happen when I was young, but never knew how to deal with it all in a healthy way. So, instead of communicating or giving it over to the Lord, I just held it all in. I kept striving to follow God, and ended up finding myself in Bible college--surrounded by wonderful, godly, healthy friends who loved me more than I deserved. Through their encouragement and my own circumstances, I started seeing a Christian counselor who helped me deal with all the things in my past. I mentioned earlier this week that I held onto a lot of bitterness. I also dealt with sadness, depression, emptiness, and a confused self-identity. Not to mention, I was afraid to communicate or be myself or express myself for fear of more rejection in being vulnerable. All this to say, through the help of God's community and through the very Word of God, I was able to gain the confidence in knowing that Christ loved me, and that He makes me whole. There is nothing I could ever do, no one I could ever become on my own that would make me deserve His love or gain His grace and salvation. He freely gives it to me simply out of His unconditional, amazing love for me! Awesome!... And Christ promises to complete the good work in us (Philippians 1:6) and that we will reap a harvest if we don't give up in doing good (Galatians 6:9)!

Do you have a testimony to Christ's work in your life? Or do you have any other thoughts about "Finished Work?"

3 comments:

Meghan said...

Sara - everything you just described about your past is a perfect description of me at this very moment! It brought tears to my eyes reading it - thank you so much for sharing that! Todd and I have started some christian counseling together, and I'm hoping to begin to work through some stuff...

Sara said...

meghan, that is awesome!!! counseling was one of the most humbling things i ever did, but it was the BEST thing i ever did!! at that point in my life, i didn't care enough about myself to go and get healed, but i thought if i ever wanted to get married and have a family one day--i HAD to!! i did it for them.... but i'm SO thankful for the healing and for the way God brought me through it all!!! i'm so glad you guys are doing that--you will be SO blessed!!!....

Sarah said...

Wow you two - this is awesome! Sara, I don't know all of your past, but I know that we have delt with very similar things in our family life and feeling degraded. There are still things that were said to me that haunt me. But as I told my mother just this morning... there is a huge difference between forgiving and forgetting.

I feel that God has always worked on my in the forgiveness area. With relationships, family, and even forgiving myself. I am my own worst enemy and I am currently working on forgiving myself. I really hit rock bottom after having Noah - I honestly hated myself more than anything. I couldn't even stand to look at myself in the mirror. Looking back and after doing this study, I now know that God put me through that to learn from it. It was one of those situations where he had a guiding hand in it.

I am at a much better place right now, but I still have a ton of room to grow. Opening up is one of the best and relieveing feelings - I guess that's why I always say that I'm an open book!