CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Day 2: The Gardener's Shears

This concept of God as a gardener is really cool, in my opinion! It helps things make sense. For instance, when you think about a plant that needs pruned--it's a good plant. It's growing and thriving. It's getting the nourishment that it needs. However, there are still weeds and sucker shoots and sometimes an over-aggressive branch that need to be pruned in order for it to stay healthy and keep growing! You see, we can be good people, godly people, but there are still things in our lives that need removed by the gentle pruning hand of God.

As we learned today, there are a few ways this pruning takes place in our lives. First, by the very Word of God. When we study and fill our lives with His Word it helps to prune out the rotten branches and weeds, and also keeps us from sin! And secondly, our situations--especially suffering--help to prune us.

I have a personal illustration of this.... A few years ago my husband and I experienced a miscarriage when I was almost three months along. It was not only a horrible thing, but the way it happened was a bit traumatic!.... First of all, due to some (certainly not all!) of our Christian brothers and sisters reactions, we were more aware than ever of whether or not we had a true belief in the sanctity of life! It was amazing to us the way other brothers and sisters in Christ treated our miscarriage as if nothing had happened or as if we shouldn't be mourning a loss of a child. And yet, these same people will base their entire vote for the presidency on whether or not the candidate believes abortion is right or wrong! It seems we pick and choose in which cases we'll wave our "Sanctity of Life" flags!... Now, at the same time, we had many, many brothers and sisters in Christ and also non-believers who mourned alongside us and really helped us through this horrible time in our lives! But it certainly awoke in us a deep passion to help others through such a horrible thing and to be more aware of our beliefs and how we carry them out! Plus, when this happened to us, it made me realize what is really important in life. I remember not being as concerned with the temporal things in life that I tend to get caught up in. My mind was on more eternal things--like lost souls and others who are suffering even more than we were at the time! It really gave me some perspective. Unfortunately and honestly, I can't say that it stayed.... I long to be in more of a constant state of good, godly perspective like that time in my life brought me to. I can honestly say that I would never have this perspective had I not gone through all of that!

Does anyone else have any personal experiences to share concerning God's pruning?.....

And knowing what was inside the ark below the mercy seat was amazing! The gold jar of manna representing God's glory, provision and teaching. Aaron's staff which had budded representing the way in which God reveals His chosen people. And the stone tablets, which we will discuss more in tomorrow's study... I think, for me, the budding staff sticks out the most in this lesson! It is important we realize that we are known by the fruit we produce, or rather, the fruit that is produces in us. We can see riddled throughout Scripture the love of God, and His passion and desire to lavish it on us! So, while there are many things God produces in us, love is perhaps the greatest fruit of all!

A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another. John 13:34-35

Are there ways that God has produced fruit in you or pruned you either through His Word or through your circumstances?

6 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh Sara, how you read my mind! In this study I couldn't help but think of other's personal experience rather than my own. I thought of you and Shane, Todd and Meghan, Hope and Nathan (friends who used to attend our church), and someone that I recently read about - Angie Smith (she is the wife of a vocalist in the group Selah). You all have experiences loss in a way that I can't even fathom. Can I just say that I am totally amazed by the strength and faith that each and every one of you have!

As for me, my suffering seems almost tedious compared to what the above had to go through. But after the birth of my son I struggled with post partum depression. Looking back at it, I honestly think I was just depressed, but they named in "Post partum" because I had a baby 3 months into it. I personally think that it stemmed from my parents battling a HUGE issue in their marriage, me going through my last semester in graduate school, starting a new position at the hospital, and most importantly NOT TURING EVERYTHING OVER TO GOD!!! I don't wish the feelings of depression on anyone, but I honestly think that God made me go through that to grow closer to him and to humble me.

I have to agree with Beth in saying that I would rather be pruned through God's word rather than situations that we go through in order to learn what God is really trying to tell us. But some of the situations have really good reasons behind them - they are God-given situations!

Sara said...

sarah, you're suffering is no less than anyone else's!! just different!... it's so great to see all the positive things that come out of our suffering--all the godly things that God prunes in us during these times! if we choose to trust Him and obey Him through these things, we will come out better, stronger, deeper rooted, more steadfast in Christ, and better able to minister to others because of what God has brought us through! it's really cool when you think about it like that.... but it doesn't always make the suffering easier.... i agree, i would rather be pruned by God's Word than situations, but at the same time, because i am such an experiential person, i know that going through things will make it more real to me!!! perhaps, when i grow up, i will be able to simply trust God's Word!:) thanks for sharing, sarah... i remember that time in your life and how hard it was for you! i'm thankful God brought you through it, and i know that God will have plenty of ministry for you to do that others won't be able to because of all you've been through!! it's awesome to see you trusting God through it all!!! love you, friend!...

Meghan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Meghan said...

I think for me, right now and in the days to come, there is and is going to be a lot of pruning taking place. Some I welcome...I WANT to grow and bear fruit etc...I'm excited about that...but I have to admit it's the pruning through God's Word that I'm looking forward to and enjoying...the pruning that's going to come from the situations that are ahead in the next years, not so much because it's sure to be a somewhat painful process. Don't get me wrong, I can't wait to see what God has in store, but I'm a slow learner and very resistant at times so it's not going to be easy! I agree with you, Sara, I sometimes think the situational pruning is more "real". For me, anyway. It gets God's point across more clearly, I think.:)

Sarah- speaking from my own struggle with post partum depression after Iris, your struggle is so NOT tedious! It was very real and very painful for you - I remember that time in your life and my heart was broken for you because I'd been there - I knew what you were feeling! I'm so glad you feel your relationship with God was strengthened during that hard time! And I've already seen evidence of the way you've been able to care and minister to others using your experience..very amazing!

Sara- I don't think I've ever heard the whole story of your bout with miscarriage...I'm so sorry! People, I think, don't know what to say in a situation like that. We had some pretty insensitive comments too along with very compassionate, loving, caring ones. But I definitely feel like much pruning took place during that time for me as well, and even some good fruit started to grow...so I'm thankful for that.

Great post...insightful, as always!

Ladies In Christ said...

since we all struggle and suffer at times, i think it's great that we share and learn from each other and encourage each other! i think a tool of satan's would be to make us feel that we're alone or that our suffering isn't really that bad or can't really compare to others. so, then we stay quiet and we suffer alone... God made us for community, and His community MUST be a part of our lives! that means sharing, growing and encouraging each other!....

i'm not sure if it was similar to either one of you, sarah and meghan, but i do think after maddox i struggled with some depression of some sort. i think, due to our ever-changing situation at the time, there was SO much going on, and i just didn't know how to handle it all! it took me a while, honestly, to truly turn it over to the Lord. and as much as i don't really like this cliche--things did heal in time... sometimes, it just takes TIME to get used to things... but i also believe that if we're not relying on God, no amount of time will matter!! i'm so thankful for sisters like you two that are willing to share, be honest and vulnerable. i have learned SO much from both of you!! and i'm SO thankful for the experiences that we share and for the encouragement that you both have been in my time of need. thank you, sisters. love you both!!!:)

Ladies In Christ said...

i forgot, i'm logged in as "ladies in Christ." it's me, sara:)