CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Week 10: Mended Hearts, Eternal Ties

Day 2: Home to Jerusalem

It is actually reassuring to me when I read of Israel's history due to the fact that they were horribly disobedient and unfaithful. And yet, God still used them. Isn't it so true with us? How often do I find myself trusting something or someone other than my Lord? How often do I choose bitterness, pride or unkindness over Christ's forgiveness and the freedom it brings?

So, the Ark found a resting place in Jerusalem. Did you notice all that was left in it? Only the stone tablets. And soon, as the Bible and history record, even the ark will be lost.... But even that is a testimony to Christ's work. No longer would God dwell in a physical sanctuary made by men. But now He would dwell in the very hearts of those who would accept Him! Awesome! Are you realizing just how amazing it is to live on this side of the cross?!! We do not have to look to the Ark of the Covenant or to the Temple in order to know whether God is present or not. We merely open our hearts and allow Him to occupy there. We accept what God made us for all along--His dwelling within us. Within our hearts. And within us as a people--His church, His bride, as one community. It's important to realize His dwelling within our hearts, but I believe it's equally important to understand His dwelling among us as a people--one body, one community.

The other thing that really hit home with me was the fact that the Israelites did not keep the same knowledge and obedience to the Lord from generation to generation. This baffles me! How could you witness the awesome works of the Lord and not tell future generations about it? To become so complacent or used to His presence, provision and wonder leaves me speechless. And at the same time, I become complacent with Jesus' work on the cross--whether I disregard it and get caught in unforgiveness or whether I just plain choose to not honor the amazing sacrifice that it was! How does this happen? Not to mention the awesome work I have witnessed in my own life and many lives around me! There is never a reason, for any of us, to become complacent with such an amazing, awesome, powerful, and holy God!! And it should be our life's mission to pass this on to our children and future generations!!

What does it mean to you that God dwells in you? The Israelites saw a cloud in the Tabernacle and knew God was present. How do you know that God's presence is within you? How do you see God's presence in others? What are you doing to make sure knowledge of God and obedience to Him passes on to future generations?

2 comments:

Sarah said...

When I read about the generations after Joshua not knowing what God had done for them I was angry. How could then not tell their children and then their children not tell their children. Who dropped the ball???

Then I couldn't help but think to myself... Am I telling my children enough of what Jesus did for us on that cross. Am I being the witness I need to be?

Sure it's easy to get caught up in our every day lives, but when it comes down to it I wouldn't have what I have if it wasn't for HIM and HIM alone. Do I think that he crossed their minds back then, you bet I do, but did they do anything about it instead of just worry about themselves - well that answer is apparent in the Word of God! What a shame, because they were able to witness something totally miraculous!

Leah said...

I agree with everything You just said! its not easy,and We do get wraped up in Ourselves, but We wouldn't be who We are if We didn't have god! We also wouldn't have what We have if it wasn't for Him!